8.26.2011

Promotion and Fall Commotion!

First: I'm soooooo excited for fall! It's my FAVORITE time of year because of the holidays and family time :D and, pumpkin. everything. Mike's is fall also, but more particularly new year's because of the sense of renewal.

Time has gotten away from me and I didn't realize that it has been over 3 weeks since the last post. Several significant things have happened of awesome importance!



As some of you know, Mike was "promoted" to a Junior Project Manager position. This included: 10 hours of mandatory overtime and a lot more work. The end. Well, as of last Friday, Michael is officially salaried and earns a good amount more than before, so we're finally in a breathable position with finances! Yay! Before this we were scraping by, using leftover wedding money for groceries.

As for me, the only upcoming job I have is 9 hours a week for 10 weeks in fall and another 10 in spring. What I'll be doing is playing games and sharing mini-lessons with elementary-aged children who need help with literacy. I look forward to it for sure, I just hope I get on some substitute lists to keep me busy during the day.

I recently had a hardship (and other teachers were stuck in the same boat) where we were being told to give a $3 per textbook shipping fee - for books we wouldn't get to keep, mind you. My initial impression during week 2 of class was I'd be chipping in $10. However, during the last week of class, my paycheck was either going to have an involuntary deduction taken or I had to pay up in order to even receive my check. A few other teachers had to pay $100, I only had to pay $60, but it was obvious that some real extortion was going on. It was especially frustrating because I didn't even use one set, and s&h was never mentioned for the other set. It was frustrating but I'm moving past it with my last paycheck in hand.

Yesterday was my last day of teaching the kids. Sigh. We had some good times but I'm glad it's completed. There was such a big difference academically in the boys at the 7th/8th grade level compared to the girls. However, I did have a couple of struggling girls and overachieving boys, so my previous generalization can't blanket everyone.

Last weekend, my first not tutoring, I was able to visit home! I was so excited. My Dad is recovering well from his surgery and we helped out with mowing the lawn and walking the dog. This weekend we're covering the lawn duties again while they are visiting my sister, and enjoying an air-conditioned home with Junior the cat. I also plan on washing my poor car, which has been covered in dirt and whatever else for months.

For MBKB, I donated two photo sessions to raise money for the Ruby Jane Foundation. Ruby was diagnosed with liver failure as an infant and didn't make it to age 1. Since her passing, I saw the family's friends coming together to donate items in order to help them cover medical bills since the last month of Ruby's life was spent in the hospital. We're happy to say we've raised $300 for a good cause and gave away three photography sessions, one of which will be in early November of a newborn <3 LOVE newborn photos. It'll be fun to see how these turn out :)

One of my goals this coming month will be to amp up the photo business. We'll be doing a few fall promotions for family photos and Halloween portraits for kids. Besides the auction winners, I'm also taking some photos at my sister-in-law's wedding and some portraiture for a client who is making a gift for her husband (nothing inappropriate mind you ;)

1 comment: