10.03.2011

General Conference Reflections

This weekend I watched General Conference by myself while I was house sitting. I had a lot of time to think about what was shared and what I needed to work on. For those of you who aren't members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Conference happens the first weekend in April and October of every year. There are sessions (meetings) to watch both Saturday and Sunday, where we hear talks (speeches) given by the Prophet, Apostles, and other general authorities in the church. The purpose is to inform us of new happenings in the church, reflect on the past events of the year, and inspire members regarding teachings in the church.

I've decided that every once in awhile I'm going to pick a talk and review how I feel about it, thoughts, and highlights. Feel free to share yours as well because there is much more that can be learned in a single talk. (I also may get a little emotional in here so I apologize in advance, ha.)

Elder Richard G. Scott, Apostle
Watch his talk, given here.



Elder Scott, in my opinion, is very sweet, but I prefer to read his talks in order to absorb them better. Soon LDS.org will have the talks transcribed, but for now I just took a few notes. He focused on the importance of reading the scriptures, which include: the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Pearl of Great Price.

Many solutions to our everyday and deeper problems are in the scriptures for those who have faith in the plan of happiness, and Jesus Christ. He described them like "packets of light that illuminate our minds and give guidance to inspiration." Also, by memorizing them, we make our connection to them stronger and they can calm us and bring peace to us.

He quoted some of my favorites:
- Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

- Moroni 7:46-47Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail— But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.


Initially while listening to the talk, I just thought "Oh, ok, that's nice, I've heard it before." But as I reflect on it and take the time to write this, it really sinks in. I haven't been reading scriptures every day for a long time. I read talks often, the Ensign, pray in my head, pray with Mike, occasionally read scriptures. I don't remember when I stopped, or why. I get tired, busy, whatever. But I need them. Big time.


I remember going to institute classes in Moorpark and Santa Barbara and that was the best instruction ever. Remembering those experiences and comparing them to how I feel now shows me that I need this guidance and inspiration in my life and need to stop selling myself short. After getting married, it was like this huge wake-up call: I'm officially on my own, moved out of my parents' house for good. Often I get really weepy about it because that time is gone. I've gotten better but I still have my moments. I need the scriptures and their guidance even more now as life goes on to remind myself this isn't the end.


To believe in Christ is HUGE. It means there is something after this life, and that is the biggest message anyone could attempt to understand. I still think about death a lot and it amazes me. I may not have complete understanding, which is scary. But I do know enough to know there is something after this, and I need to grow and learn and enjoy as much as I can now before that transition, and remember this is a plan of happiness!!! Not despair.


Spiritually
Minded
Is
Life
Eternal

No comments:

Post a Comment