7.21.2012

Lately: New Job

The biggest thing that happened these past few weeks was that Michael got a new job! The place is called CheckPoint Studios and is located in Costa Mesa. He's excited to have a more creative Associate Producer role, and to contribute to a positive gaming community while working more closely with a developer. I'm more excited to have a happier husband at home, and so proud of him for all the work he does to support us while being true to himself.

For me, each week has been quiet. I sold a headband on Etsy (seen here), met investigators with the missionaries, went to the gym, went on a few runs in the trails, went to the temple, decorated our stairway with photos of us and the dogs, AKA our "kids," had dinner with a few friends and went to the Great Park Extravaganza birthday event nearby. It had free admission, a ton of food trucks, planes and skydivers to see, fireworks; it was pretty neat.

I also explored the San Juan Capistrano Mission and took a lot of photos. Check them out HERE and HERE :) Some of my favorites are below.



I've improved my mile time from 8:45 to 8:12 on July 12th. It helps when I'm timing myself to motivate me to stay fast. The trail behind our house is uphill the first half, downhill the second half (which may help my timing). Then at the Pioneer Day 5k I ran on the 21st in the morning, my overall time was 26:29. The MapMyRun app on my phone seems to think it was 3.25 miles and my pace was 8 minutes per mile (which is miscalculated, it should be about 8:09)... but if you calculate my pace according to 3.1 miles, it's about 8:33 per mile. EITHER WAY, I'm happy, because DANG, the course was a bunch of hills with a long hill at the end. Yuck. and, my girl thing had started, so that totally depleted my energy level. I was seriously about to start walking. It was hot and bleh. But I finished! I'm interested to see if I placed in the top 3 in my age group (I know a 19-year-old took first place... no contest there, ha).

I went through our wedding cards after our anniversary and hole-punched them in the top left corner with a heart, strung them together with raffia, and viola. A nice memento. Our anniversary cards from family are in the back. I then hung it on a piece of wall art my Grandma Jean gave me. Love this.



I tried an easy but delicious recipe using the ripe avocados I picked up at Costco. I didn't use as much mayo as it asked for, and because it was a side dish, I excluded the chicken, but plan to do it again with chicken. Yum.

Avocado Chicken Salad - pauladeen.com


I went to a friend's baby shower today in Simi and am staying the night at my parents' house. It's been a good weekend thus far. One of the things I love the most about visiting home is how happy we are to see each other. I love, love, love my family. When we had dinner out tonight and the corn was a little over-cooked, Mom commented how good the fresh corn on-the-cob was at the 4th of July party we had, and I told her I just did it how she taught me. She then told me it was how my Granny Jean and Great Granny Pauline did it: they bought fresh husked corn from the market, peeled it right before cooking so it had the most flavor, and boiled it with a few extra things. Perfect. Even in such a small tradition, I feel closer to my ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment