10.21.2012

Good Things

This blog can be whatever I'd like it to be. So, today I'll focus on good things since so many things in life seem to be frustrating right now.

My sister and my friend Laura both tried and liked the pumpkin cinnamon roll recipe. These photos cheered me up. I like knowing people actually read this and was surprised and happy that people used what I'd shared.

My sister's photo
Laura's photo
I get substitute work every day, which is good. I've also learned I like going to a different school every day instead of the same one for the whole week.

I've read three books in the past week:

  • The List by Melanie Jacobson - If it were to be made into a movie, it'd be a chick flick, and a good one. While it was a fun read, I hope the next book in the book club I'm in has more depth.
  • Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - I read this over three days at a high school. The subject matter is bullying and how students choose to explode as a result {shooting at their school}. So, reading this while substituting at a high school felt weird. However, I loved how spot-on the author was about what so many perspectives can be in that type of situation. I'll definitely pick up another book by her in the future. I didn't like the language but appreciated the realism.
  • Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin - I grabbed this from Mike's book collection on my way out the door to work in order to avoid sheer boredom that day. It renewed my appreciation for Steve Martin as a person and as a comedian. He is, as advertised, an all-around good guy, and wants his career and everything in-between to have meaning. I'd read Shopgirl, a little novella he wrote, years before and loved it. Steve Martin: definitely on my awesome-celebrity list.


Last week, I started my first set of free fitness classes I won through Driven Fitness. To say I was sore was an understatement. However, this is a good thing: it means I actually got a workout. For awhile I've done my regular cardio routine but haven't felt anything. This is a good change and will help me maintain my weight going into the holidays :knock on wood:.

My parents came down to visit my aunt and uncle down the street, where my grandma is currently staying. It was great to hang out with them and hug and chat. I'll never stop being grateful for the help they continuously offer. I just wish I could repay them tenfold. Mom brought down my Halloween decorations so I finally got to put some up, besides my flag banners and pumpkin wreath. The dogs {Harley, Maya, Ozzy, Minnie, Izzy} all had a blast with each other too.

Things aren't so bad once you start to remember the good things. It's the good things that keep me sane.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are staying positive. I know this is a frustrating time for both of you, but as you well know, everything is in God's hands. He will make things happen in His time. Meantime, keep sharing these yummy recipes. Can't wait till I get some $ to buy some white flour to try the pumkin rolls. I love you both! Mom N

    ReplyDelete