10.06.2012

Somethin' Pumpkin: Ravioli-Fail and Bread-Win

Instead of a dessert recipe for this week, I decided to attempt pumpkin ravioli. But now that I'm posting about it, I can't even find the recipe I used to fail with. I'm betting that it was removed from the internet because it was so lame-sauce. Anyway, lesson learned: Don't invite a guest over the night you experiment, especially when it's your first time making ravioli, of all things. This time I was lucky: Tina didn't mind experiments :)

SO, after that disaster, it just happened to be convenient that the bananas I bought at Costco had turned overripe much too quickly. Then I had the best remedy to my ravioli fail: Pumpkin Banana Bread for the win!





I already knew I was awesome at baking banana bread {not to toot my own horn, but my husband says so}.  Creating a variation of it with pumpkin was right up my alley, and wow, it turned out great! Moist. Flavorful. You can taste the banana and the pumpkin. This is a must-try recipe. I know, I know, Costco just started stocking their pumpkin quick-bread mix, which is really good, but you need to make something from scratch to call it your own.

Big positives about this recipe: There is some batter leftover for you to have a few extra muffins on the side, AND, you don't need butter in the batter. NO butter! The only butter I used was to grease the sides of the pan.

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 c. vegetable or corn oil
  • 1 1/3 c. canned pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • optional: walnuts, raisins, cranberries

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 5" or 10 x 4" loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, gently mix together: bananas, eggs, oil, pumpkin, honey, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Separately, combine the flour, powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Slowly add to banana/pumpkin mixture until just combined. Pour batter into the loaf pan until it's -just- over half full. Then use the rest to bake muffins {20-25 minute baking time}.
  3. Bake loaf at 350°F for 60 minutes, and make sure a toothpick comes out clean from the center. If not, add 10 more minutes. Let cool on cooling rack before removing from pan.

yum.yum.yum.

I must be a baker, because my cooking experiments are fewer than my baking experiments. Maybe pumpkin ravioli isn't all that amazing in general, but I think it should be. Either way, I will continue to love baking with pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment